Go back to content from Chapter 1: “The purpose of the council (Vatican I) was to define the Catholic doctrine concerning the Church”
- Define what a ‘mystery’ is.
- Related mystery definition to define what “The Church” is.
- Describe ‘Body of Christ’.
- Link ‘manna in the desert’ from the Old Testament to “Bread of Life” from the New Testament.
- Understand that The Church (and your body) is the Temple of the Holy Spirit.
(and while churches my be decorated because they are built by man, you must accept you body as it is, that is, as it is made by God)
• The Church is Mystery, a communion of God and humanity; both visible and invisible.
• We are the Body of Christ, who are called to be the hands, feet, and heart of Christ to others.
• God is fully present within the Church, through the Holy Spirit.
(not in book)mystery, Church, Body of Christ
- mystery: A mystery is not something we know nothing about. It is something we don’t know everything about.
- The Church, The Faith, is an infinite mystery. There is always something new to learn.
- Church: (ccc 752) the word “church” designates the liturgical assembly, but also the local community or the whole universal community of believers. These three meanings are inseparable. “The Church” is the People that God gathers in the whole world. She exists in local communities and is made real as a liturgical, above all a Eucharistic, assembly. She draws her life from the word and the Body of Christ and so herself becomes Christ’s Body.
- Body of Christ: see CCC 751-757 (“Church”),
(in book) mystery of faith, Sacrament (ccc 1131)
- ccc 237 The Trinity is a mystery of faith in the strict sense, one of the “mysteries that are hidden in God, which can never be known unless they are revealed by God”.58 To be sure, God has left traces of his Trinitarian being in his work of creation and in his Revelation throughout the Old Testament. But his inmost Being as Holy Trinity is a mystery that is inaccessible to reason alone or even to Israel’s faith before the Incarnation of God’s Son and the sending of the Holy Spirit.
Mystical Body of Christ subsists in the Roman Catholic Church.
Prayer for God’s People